Prospective Music majors are also required to take the theory placement test.
- All major scales in two octaves, the chromatic scale
- An exercise to sightread
Two contrasting selections (two different movements from a solo work or two contrasting
etudes (something technical and something slow & lyric)
- The All-State/Honor Band Etudes
- Etudes from Sixty Selected Studies for French Horn by Kopprasch,
- Two different movements from any of the Mozart Horn Concerti (one slow one fast)
- Dukas Villanelle
- Saint-Saens Morceau de Concert
Contact Catherine Roche-Wallace if you have any questions about the horn audition process.
- All major scales and chromatic from memory. Range depends on the instrument.
- Two pieces of contrasting styles. All-State requirements work well, but there are many works to choose from.
- Sight reading.
Contact Paul Morton if you have any questions about the trumpet audition process.
Low Brass: Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
Major scales and chromatic scale with Louisiana All-State requirements.
- The panel will choose selected scales
Two contrasting solo selections
- Solo literature is preferred, but etudes are acceptable.
- Play two contrasting movements from a solo work or two contrasting works. The selections should balance each other––lyrical/technical, slow/fast.
- Anything from the Texas UIL Solo/Ensemble List, Class 1 or Class 2. (For a listing of these works, visit http://www.penders.com or http://www.jwpepper.com).
- Concert instruments ONLY (euphonium preferred, baritone acceptable).
- Large-bore instruments preferred, small-bore instruments acceptable.
- Four-valve euphoniums and tubas are preferred.
- Trombones with F attachment and bass trombones with D attachment are preferred.
- Dress professionally; it will be taken into account during your audition.
- Euphonium players auditioning for acceptance to the School of Music MUST be able to read and perform in the bass clef. Treble clef players admitted to the School of Music will be on a provisional basis and will be automatically assigned to Remedial level.
Contact Scott Landry at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about low brass auditions.