Selection for most of the scholarships listed below is made through competitive auditions.
Audition Dates for Scholarships and Stipends for Academic Year 2014-15.
Nov. 16: Voice/Vocal Music Education, Instrumental; strings, guitar
Piano by appt.
Feb. 8: Voice/Vocal Music Education; piano; strings; guitar
Feb. 15: instrumental/jazz
March 15: piano/guitar
March 22: strings/instrumentl/jazz/Voice/Vocal Music Education
Late piano auditions by appointment. Email email@example.com.
UL Lafayette School of Music
P.O. Box 41207
Lafayette, LA 70504-1207
Scholarships: School of Music scholarships are available for music majors in keyboard, guitar, voice, strings, and wind, brass and percussion instruments. These are awarded through competitive auditions. Composition majors may submit a portfolio of their work. Audition requirements vary by area so be sure to check the list for your instrument/voice. For more information, contact the Chair of the Scholarship Committee, Dr. Susanna Garcia at (337) 482-5205 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
On Campus Housing Waivers: Housing waivers that cover the basic cost of a dorm room are available for eligible students. The waiver, currently valued at $2660/year, can be applied toward traditional dorms, Legacy Park Apartments, and the new Taft Street Dorm. (Consult the University Housing Office for current pricing of these residences.) Contact any ensemble director or the Chair of the Scholarship Committee, Dr. Susanna Garcia, at (337) 482-5205 or email email@example.com for more information.
Ensemble Participation Awards: Stipends are available for students in any major participating in the School of Music ensembles listed below. In most cases, an audition is required. Music majors may perform in multiple ensembles based on their GPA and their progress towards graduation. (See eligibility requirements)
- UL Lafayette Bands (Marching Band/Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Winds/Concert Band): All students accepted to the marching band receive either the basic marching band award (currently $600) or a housing waiver (fall and spring) No audition is required for the $600 stipend with your high school band director's recommendation. The housing waiver requires an audition. Stipend amounts in excess of the basic level (stipend or housing waiver) are available on a competitive basis. Additional awards including spring awards require participation in one of the concert ensembles (Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Winds, Concert Band). Visit the UL Band website or contact Dr. William Hochkeppel at (337) 482-5669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- UL Lafayette Wind Ensemble: The Wind Ensemble has openings for wind, brass and percussion instruments. A $400 stipend per semester is available for qualified candidates. Auditions are required. Visit the UL Wind Ensemble website or contact Dr. William Hochkeppel at (337) 482-5669 or email email@example.com for more information.
- UL Lafayette Symphony Orchestra: Scholarships and stipends are available starting at $700 per academic year. Housing awards are also available. Awards are open to music majors as well as non-music majors who perform for credit with the UL Lafayette Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra has openings for players in all sections including strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Students are encouraged to arrange an audition as early in the academic year as possible. Visit the UL Lafayette Orchestra website or contact the Director of Orchestral Activities, Mr. Michael Blaney, at (337) 482-6050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- UL Lafayette Choral Ensembles: The choral ensemble stipend ranges from $400 to $800 per academic year. Visit the UL Lafayette Chorale and Chamber Singers pages or contact the Coordinator of Vocal Studies, Margaret Daniel, at (337) 482-5202 or email@example.com for more information.
- UL Lafayette Opera Theater: Scholarships for the UL Lafayette Opera Theater are based on casting in the major productions for the semester. Stipends range from $200 to $500 depending on size of role. There is also a separate scholarship from the UL Lafayette Opera Guild in the amount of $500 for the year. To receive this scholarship, the student must participate in both of the productions of the academic year. Visit the Opera Workshop website or contact Shawn Roy, Director of Opera and Musical Theater at 337-482-5939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Jazz Ensemble (Big Band): Jazz awards are available for outstanding musicians performing with the Jazz Ensemble. Auditions are required. Visit the UL Jazz website or contact Dr. William Hochkeppel at (337) 482-5669 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Jazz Combos: Stipends ranging from $150 to $200 are available for qualified musicians performing in any of the combos. Audition requirements include scales plus two contrasting tunes that demonstrate the applicant's improvisation ability. In addition, Jazz Talent awards are available for outstanding freshmen as well as upperclassmen currently enrolled in a university jazz group. Visit the UL Jazz website or contact the Coordinator of Jazz Studies, Dr. Robert Luckey, at (337) 482-5217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Theory/Composition: Awards are available for upper-division theory/composition majors who demonstrate outstanding achievement in this area. Composition portfolios (scores and recordings) comprising at least two contrasting pieces should be submitted to Dr. Matt Steinbron. For more information email email@example.com.
Graduate Assistantships: The School of Music currently offers graduate teaching assistantships in brass, woodwinds, percussion, guitar, piano, strings/orchestra, band, choral/ vocal, jazz studies, music media, and theory/composition. Assistantships provide a tuition waiver and a stipend currently valued at $7,500 per year. Assistantships are awarded for two academic years. On Campus Housing Waivers and Ensemble Participation Stipends (described above) are also available. The deadline for application is usually early May. Contact the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Andrea Loewy, at (337) 482-5214 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Other Financial Aid
The Louisiana TOPS Program is a program of state scholarships for Louisiana residents who attend a Louisiana College or University. Information may be accessed at Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance.
Academic Scholarships: Information on additional university sponsored academic scholarships for incoming freshmen, current, out of state, international, TOPS, and transfer students is available from the UL Lafayette Scholarship Office.
Out-of-State Scholarships: Non-resident scholarships can be granted to new students from other states if they meet the eligibility requirements. Contact the UL Lafayette Scholarship Office for more information.