Bachelor of Music (BM) — Performance, Music Media, Theory/Composition
Personal auditions are preferred. If a potential student is a long distance from Lafayette, then either audio or video formats are acceptable for a pre-audition. Upon passing the pre-audition screening, the applicant will receive a letter of invitation to schedule an on-campus audition. Students wishing to transfer in at higher levels should consult the area coordinator before preparing for their audition.
All applicants must demonstrate abilities from the following areas:
- Ferdinando Carulli, Mateo Carcassi, Mauro Giuliani, Fernando Sor, Dionisio Aguado, Julio Sagrearas, etc., and/or
- Leo Brouwer — Estudios Sencillos 1-10; Heitor Villa-Lobos — Preludes/Etudes
- Aaron Shearer, Learning the Classic Guitar — Studies from book 2 or works of equivalent or greater difficulty
- Fingerboard Harmony
- General knowledge of major & minor triads and dominant 7th chords. Basic understanding of diatonic harmony as well as chord and key relationships.
- Two octave major and harmonic minor scales through the key circle demonstrating at least two differing fingerings for each [as opposed to one fingering pattern moved to various positions on the fingerboard.
- Sight reading
- The candidate will play a work no longer than one page demonstrating the ability to present the most basic harmonic and melodic elements of guitar music at sight.
- All incoming applicants should prepare and perform from memory three pieces in contrasting style. Examples of acceptable audition pieces:
You must also take the theory placement test.
For more information contact the Guitar coordinator Jeffrey George by phone at 337-482-6016, or by email at email@example.com.