USE YOUR VOICE...
Vocal Studies offers numerous choral and solo experiences for singers, all of which include students from nearly every major on campus, whether they have had prior instruction, or are just looking to begin.
We believe that diverse identities enrich our academic environment and impel us to curate performance opportunities and curricula in voice that are vibrant, inclusive, and based in current research. These principles strengthen our mission to be insightful musicians, empathic peers, and critical thinkers in the relationships we forge inside and outside the School of Music.
- Chamber Singers: open to all students of any major, pending an audition.
- UL Lafayette Chorale: open to all students of any major (tenor and bass voices)
- Vermilion Voix: open to all students of any major (soprano and alto voices)
- The UL Lafayette Opera Theatre performs full productions of both music theatre and operatic repertoire, often in collaboration with the UL Lafayette Symphony, the Acadiana Symphony and the Performing Arts department. Open to all students, pending an audition. Visit us on Facebook.
- The Fringe Ensemble: contemporary or music by composers often left “on the fringe.” Open to all students pending audition.
Applied Voice: intensive private lessons for credit, available to all students, pending an audition.
Class Voice: open to all students looking for an introduction to singing through group instruction.
Traditional Music: open to vocalists interested in traditional Cajun folksong, Zydeco or Bluegrass.
Jazz Studies: singers can pursue a concentration in voice through the Jazz Studies major.