Bachelor of Music (BM) — Jazz Studies, Music Media, Theory/Composition
Personal auditions are preferred. If a potential student is a long distance from Lafayette, then either audio or video formats are acceptable for a pre-audition. Upon passing the pre-audition screening, the applicant will receive a letter of invitation to schedule an on-campus audition. Students wishing to transfer in at higher levels should consult the area coordinator before preparing for their audition.
All applicants must demonstrate abilities from the following areas:
- Fingerboard Harmony
- Competency in voicings for major 7th, minor 7th, and dominant 7th chords and possession of a general understanding of diatonic harmony as well as chord and key relationships.
- Two-octave Major, minor (dorian) and dominant (mixolydian) scales demonstrating at least two different fingerings for each – as opposed to one fingering pattern moved to various positions.
- Considerable flexibility is permitted in the choice of audition material. Guitarists admitted to the undergraduate program should demonstrate a degree of technical fluency and musical awareness appropriate to the level of audition literature.
- All incoming applicants should prepare and perform from memory three jazz standards of varying tempos and styles (ballad chord solo, blues or medium tempo standard, up tempo standard or bebop, fusion or funk, etc.) with a rhythm section or pre recorded track (Jamey Aebersold or the equivalent). Example of possible tune choices might include Satin Doll, Billie's Bounce, Oleo, Yesterdays, and/or Footprints. Be sure to include passages containing comping and soloing.
- Sight reading
- A candidate will play from sight single melodic lines and lead sheet-style chord changes.
You must also take the theory placement test.
All jazz guitar performance majors are required to study both classical (two semesters) and jazz guitar and must have the appropriate instruments.
For more information contact the Guitar coordinator Jeffrey George by phone at 337-482-6016, or by email at email@example.com.