The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Piano Institute (ULPI) provides opportunities for pedagogy students to share their passion for teaching, apply best practices, and prepare for their future careers. The Institute also offers a meaningful way for the University to connect with the community by offering quality lessons accessible to all members of our community.
ULPI welcomes K-12 and adult students who are interested in learning piano recreationally and gaining comprehensive musicianship skills.
We believe music feeds the soul and trains the body and the mind. Learning and performing music develops aesthetic awareness and cultivates intelligent understanding. Learning piano improves self-discipline, develops confidence, and fosters creative thinking. It is one of the most rewarding investments of life among all activities.
Why Study Piano at ULPI?
- Lessons are offered by instructors rigorously trained in the UL Piano Pedagogy program under faculty supervision.
- Students benefit from private & group lessons, as well as solo & ensemble performance opportunities.
- Students utilize well-maintained pianos at the university. Recitals each semester will take place in Angelle Hall on the UL campus.
- Students enrich their learning experience by participating in various events, competitions, and level exams as their proficiency progresses.
How Do the Lessons Work?
We will arrange a brief interview with you to discuss the materials and weekly lesson schedule. Please fill out the registration form.
2023 Fall Tuition
Lessons can begin as early as the first week of September and end on December 1st
- 30 min lessons $24 x weeks of instruction
- 45 min lessons $36 x weeks of instruction
- 60 min lessons $48 x weeks of instruction
Instructional materials are not included in the tuition fee. Once you register online, you will receive an email with a welcome message and instructions on how to remit fees.
Home Practice Environment
A well-maintained piano is desirable. However, a digital keyboard with 88 weighted keys with a damper pedal attached is also suitable. We would be happy to discuss instrument options if you have any questions. Practice rooms in Angelle Hall are for university music students, so we cannot provide practice rooms in the building for ULPI students.
Makeup Lesson Policy
Students are expected to give a 24-hour advance notice to the instructor or the director for canceling or rescheduling lessons. A one-time makeup lesson for a non-emergency absence is allowed per semester.
Choral Room, Angelle Hall room 153
For further questions, Contact Dr. Chee Hyeon Choi at email@example.com